3D Modeling and Land Management in Protected Areas: Fethiye-Göcek SEPA
- Land Management,
- Protected Area,
- 3D Modeling,
- Climate Change
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Advanced Geomatics
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The increase in the world population cause a decrease in natural resources. In Protected Areas, which are the assurance of sustainability, effective land management should be ensured. It is aimed to protect the natural, cultural, social and economic values of the protected areas holistically, to plan and manage the terrestrial and marine areas in an integrated manner. On the other hand, the identification of spatial uses has traditionally been accomplished by drawing on paper and using digital maps based on two-dimensional information. With the developing technology, the use of remote sensing and three-dimensional (3D) models in mapping and zonning has become increasingly widespread, and besides data content and rich visualization, query and analysis functionality has made 3D maps a basic base for planning and monitoring. In this case, it is aimed to provide three-dimensional maps as a base for the research, planning, monitoring and management of protected areas. Fethiye-Göcek Special Environmental Protection Area, where forest lands, agricultural areas and coastal areas will be under the settlement pressure and where integrated coastal and land management will be carried out, has been determined as the study area. The study includes displaying the surface information with reality values and high resolution in a three-dimensional model, and performing customized spatial and statistical analyzes on the model. It is aimed to demonstrate the potential advantages of using high resolution digital terrain model and 3D model in protected areas. Land management, illegal building, determination of the changing natural areas, agricultural uses, changing village-urban uses, temporal display of changes were carried out. Effective decision support tools are provided to decision makers in land use planning by using land use changes density. The study showed that the 3D terrain model is an important decision support tool in land management and will support nature conservation efforts.
- Biljecki, F., Stoter, J., Ledoux, H., Zlatanova, S., & Çöltekin, A. (2015). Applications of 3D city models: State of the art review. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 4(4), 2842-2889.
- Buyukdemircioglu, M., Kocaman, S., & Isikdag, U. (2018). Semi-automatic 3D city model generation from large-format aerial images. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7(9), 339.
- CBD, UNEP. Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011–2020 and the Aichi Targets. Available online: https: //www.cbd.int/kb/record/decision/12268 (accessed on 27 August 2022).
- Dial, G., Bowen, H., Gerlach, F., Grodecki, J., & Oleszczuk, R. (2003). IKONOS satellite, imagery, and products. Remote sensing of Environment, 88(1-2), 23-36.
- Dudley, N. (Ed.). (2008). Guidelines for applying protected area management categories. Iucn.
- Eklund, J., & Cabeza, M. (2017). Quality of governance and effectiveness of protected areas: crucial concepts for conservation planning. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1399(1), 27-41.
- ESRI. Available online: www.esri.com (accessed on 27 August 2022).
- Güçlüsoy, H. (2016). Marine and coastal protected areas of Turkish Levantine coasts (Eastern Mediterranean). The Turkish Part of the Mediterranean Sea, 522.
- Hockings, M. (2003). Systems for assessing the effectiveness of management in protected areas. BioScience, 53(9), 823-832.
- Hansen, A. J., Davis, C. R., Piekielek, N., Gross, J., Theobald, D. M., Goetz, S., ... & DeFries, R. (2011). Delineating the ecosystems containing protected areas for monitoring and management. BioScience, 61(5), 363-373.
- IUCN. 2018. International Union for Conservation of Nature. http://www.iucn.org
- Nichols, J. D., & Williams, B. K. (2006). Monitoring for conservation. Trends in ecology & evolution, 21(12), 668-673.
- Tezel, D., Buyukdemircioglu, M., & Kocaman, S. (2021). Accurate assessment of protected area boundaries for land use planning using 3D GIS. Geocarto International, 36(1), 96-109.
- Tezel, D., Inam, S., & Kocaman, S. (2020). GIS-Based Assessment of Habitat Networks for Conservation Planning in Kas-Kekova Protected Area (Turkey). ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 9(2), 91.
- Theobald, D. M. (2005). Landscape patterns of exurban growth in the USA from 1980 to 2020. Ecology and society, 10(1).
- UN. 2014. United Nations world urbanization prospects highlights.https://esa.un.org/unpd/wup/ publications/files/wup2014-highlights.pdf
- UNEP. 2016. Protected planet report. ISBN: 978-92-807-3587-1.https://www.unep-wcmc.org/resourcesand-data/protected-planet-report-2016
- United Nations Secretariat, C. B. D. Convention on Biological Diversity. 1992. Available online: https: //www.cbd.int/doc/legal/cbd-en.pdf (accessed on 27 August 2022).
- Ülger N.E., Sevindik Z. (2015) “Land Management Approach and Application Land Policy in Turkey”, WCS-CE - The World Cadastre Summit, Congress & Exhibition. Istanbul Turkey, 20-25 April 2015.
- Ülger, N.E. (2016) Land Management, YEM Yayınları (in Turkish).
- Yılmaz, O., & Erdem, Ü. (2011). Gediz Deltası’nın uzaktan algılama teknikleri uygulanarak alan kullanım kararları üzerine araştırmalar. Tekirdağ Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi, 8(1), 53-63.
- Zhang X, Zhu Q, Wang J. 2004. 3D city models based spatial analysis to urban design. Geogr Inform Sci. 10(1):82–86.